Prompt for Day 11
Everyday we make choices. Some choices lead us into the life we’re living, but for this poem, think about one of the things you didn’t choose.
CHOICES
Reflecting on the journey that is her life,
somewhere on the path from there to here,
she considers the road she's taken.
She didn't choose the life she's living, it chose her.
It's incredible when she thinks about it.
A fledgling wife of twenty-three
agrees to spend her whole life with
one person, also twenty-three,
who likewise agrees to spend his life with her.
And thirty-nine years later,
after countless bumps and detours,
constantly struggling for balance and juggling time,
they're still at it, somehow making it work every day.
4 comments:
I was a month shy of my 23rd birthday when I was married. Hubby was 24. We've been married for 13 years and together for 19. You wrote a wonderful poem.
Clearly, it's incredible even when she doesn't think about it. What a feat (both the relationship and the poem)! Well done.
Very well done! I like the reference to the life that she didn't choose, the one that chose her. We so often end up following a path that we didn't really choose...sometimes we get lucky, sometimes not.
I like that. Still somehow making it work, despite all those things we couldn't have known to choose at twenty-three.
Post a Comment