
A Place Called Key West
Miles and miles of sand,
turquoise water and air
so homogenized you couldn't tell
where the blue ocean ended
and the blue sky began.
Clustered chains of islands,
ancient coral reefs.
Words written
in the cool of morning,
before the day heated up.
Death in the afternoon,
bullfighting novel.
To have and have not,
literary high adventure.
Six-toed cats, Sloppy Joe's bar
and Papa.
12 comments:
Beautiful words about a magic place
I second Marja - magical words about a beautiful place :)
http://www.delenemartin.com
That's one sort of key I couldn't seem to work into mine--just as well, since you've done such a fine job.
Marianne,
This is wonderful. Key West is a magical place.
I used visit there every year before moving to Mexico.
Pamela
The moment I saw the picture of Papa H, I knew we were in for something special. Loved this hommage to The Keys, Papa, and time past. I especially like the homogenized imagery of water and air.
oh, so glad you took us to the keys.
beautiful!
never been to Key West...I just fly over it all the time on way to CUBA...inspired one of my last poems also...nicely done Marianne
One of many beautiful places I'd love to visit, and your words just make the desire stronger.
Ah, I was wondering when someone would show up with a Key West poem. Bravo...great subject, well done.
http://lindagoin.com/
A treat for this armchair traveller. I could really see the scene. I too loved the homogenised sea and sky.
You drew this reader in beautifully. Different culture, missing the references, then finding them fresh and new and wonderful. Thanks.
I like how you blended writing with a specific place. And you snuck in the six-toed cats!
Post a Comment