Saturday, June 5, 2010

Writer's Island Prompt #6: Unforgettable

The Prompt: What is it in your life that has written itself indelibly in your heart, on your soul, or in your mind. Tell that which has proven to be most amazing in your life — whatever it is that moves you to write.


UNFORGETTABLE
Their first date was in February.
She remembers it snowed and
she wore new leather gloves,
elegant and buttery-soft, expensive
nut-brown kid gloves from Paris,
the kind that fit her fingers snugly
and stretched just the tiniest bit
each time she wore them.
They held hands in the frosty dark
while snowflakes tumbled all around,
some landing in his hair.
Reaching to brush them away,
her fingers grazed his cheek.
Little shivers of pleasure fluttered.
Unforgettable, that's what he was.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, that's beautiful.
you did nat king cole proud!

~angie

Stan Ski said...

Some moments just live on.
Great post!

flaubert said...

I love how you describe the gloves here!
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Funny how every little even near-touch is felt and means so much, when it's all new. You did a great job of capturing that and making me remember some of my own....

- Dina

brenda w said...

You have captured that moment of heightened sensation new love brings. An underlying innocence pervades the piece. Sweet, lovely, reminiscent. Well done!

gautami tripathy said...

So much love. You described it so well.

help me rewrite Greek tragedies

flaubert said...

Marianne
I mistakenly deleted your comments on my blog because there were 7 of them and when I went to delete the second one It deleted all of them oops! I am not sure what I did wrong! But thanks for the nice comments on my cento! And I cannot wait to read yours this Wednesday
Regards
Pamela

Diane T said...

A perfect moment in life!

S.L. Corsua said...

I also liked the careful details about the pair of gloves; the emphasis on it (color, texture, movement) made the metaphor (re: fit) more relatable. :) Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the pleasure of something that stretches, fits so snugly it's like a second skin, through which almost no sensation is lost, including the merest brush of flesh on flesh.
Very sexy writing, this.

Robin said...

Marianne--This is written with wonderful care to detail. The help of your perceptive eye allowed this memory to live on with such beauty.

Linda said...

What a concrete poem. You've taken a small moment in time and given it a back story, all in a short poem. Lovely. I could feel those gloves.

http://lindagoin.com/