The prompt is: SPELLBOUND, what is it that has you captive, awestruck, mesmerized, blown away, under it’s control — in the past or present. Tell us in your words (poem, prose, flash fiction, etc.) the who, what, where, when, why or how regarding the fascination — including any visual image you might want to incorporate.
He Could Get Burned
Another busy Friday night at Knowlan's
and I'm waiting in line to buy milk
when I notice a boy from my daughter's
eighth grade school class. He looks slightly
uncomfortable and then I understand why.
He makes his move when the clerk
is distracted by a shrieking two-year-old.
Spellbound, I watch him from behind
a magazine. He doesn't think anyone's
noticed his fingers as they deftly grab
a pack of Marlboros from the shelf
and like a sleight of hand artist,
move to his pocket in a furtive blur.
I hesitate a second, then refocus.
Triumph flashes in his eyes, quickly
replaced by blankness as he saunters
out the door. Did I imagine he just stole
those cigarettes or did it really happen?
5 comments:
A powerful poem here. So many times it seems we see something and then question if we really did see. I would guess in this case you really DID see.
You write so well Marianne. I loved this poem.You capture every detail of a movement like a visual arts animator. You know, how they have about 20 pictures moving quickly in succession to portay one movement. Reminds me of that.
This was of course before the digital age.
Much better evidence than CCTV, as you wrote it with a degree of sympathy for the perpetrator. Thanks for sharing this experience with us.
Marianne this is superb!
Pamela
Cool poem. Captures that seen in detail then sudden questioning. Very neat.
Post a Comment