In writing this I was inspired by Matt Quinn at Poemblaze Blog who used a template based on a poem by George Ella Lyon.
Where I'm From
I am from the land of sky-blue-waters,
the only daughter in a family of sons,
the one who never quite fit in.
I am the descendant of a German grandmother
I never knew and a Polish grandma I adored.
I am from a sprawled-out ranch house on a lake
sheltered by venerable oaks and elms.
I am from a crystal chandelier, pocket doors
and two fireplaces, one brick, one stone.
I am from a simple country church hemmed
by a patchwork of pastures and cornfields,
the unbeliever with the Catholic upbringing
who sang hymns on Sunday morning, then ate
doughnuts in the church basement after Mass.
I am from black and white television, Lassie
and Ed Sullivan, Little House on the Prairie books,
barefoot walks down dusty country roads and
chocolate chip cookies in our red kitchen after school.
I am from Sarah Bernhardt peonies at the back door,
two blue canoes and a rowboat, a dog named Sam
and snowy bridal wreath cascading behind the garage.
I am from the pink bedroom with organdy curtains
and checkered wallpaper; I am from pigtails with ribbons.
And I am from Dad at the end of a long day, listening
to Halsey Hall broadcast the ball game on 'CCO radio,
Mother darning socks in the chair next to him, drops from
her iced tea glass puddled on the nut-brown Formica tabletop,
side by side in love together, all summer long.
7 comments:
Very nicely told
Great poem. Thanks for posting it and for the mention of my blog!
Sounds absolutely idyllic. Beautifully expressed with some lovely touches evoking a happy childhood.
I've never heard of a template poem before so this is interesting. I like yours and I also remember Halsey Hall on the radio!
I was not familiar with poetry templates either, Michael, until I came across Matt Quinn's post. I think a template can be especially helpful for writers suffering from writers block. Using a template can get you moving in the right direction.
A poetry template is using someone else's poem as a pattern, then adding your words to make it your own.
Happy New Year! POW Is opening again Marianne.Love to see you there next Wednesday.
Cheers
Rall
The great thing about participation in these challenges is reading the poetry of previously unread Poets. That is Poets with capital P. You are one of said Poets. I dropped in to read your last poem and find myself going back page after page. I absolutely love the polish and class so evident in your writing. The only down side is in finding the time to regularly visit another wonderful site. Keep writing.
Post a Comment