Tuesday, April 5, 2011

NaPoWriMo #5 - Decastich Form

According to Turco's "Book of Forms", the Decastich is any whole poem of ten lines. Ten line poetry forms fall into three general groups: free verse, (Decastich), miniature sonnets, (Sonnetina), and Tritina. There is no reference to meter or rhyme pattern.

Spangling Stars

Sunlight from the window catches
in the diamond on my wedding band,
spangling rainbow points of light
onto the wall. A brilliant diversity
spreads like luminous stars glittering
in a moonlit sea of pale sky, innumerable
pinpricks of light mimicking the flecks
bouncing off a mirror ball and yet, if
I move my hand the smallest bit, or the sun
climbs higher in the heavens, gone forever.

10 comments:

flaubert said...

Oh, the sparkling diamond, Marianne, beautifully described.

Pamela

Judy Roney said...

What a nice observation. Very soothing and gentle sunlight poem.

http://judyidliketosay.blogspot.com/2011/04/it-was-goofy.html

Anonymous said...

Sparkles and clear images!

Andy Sewina said...

Cool Decastich! Love that word 'Spangling'.

brenda w said...

I love this piece for a couple of reasons...
From the lushness of the imagery to *poof*(it vanishes) I read a metaphor for life's brevity, and it makes me a bit sad. We all know that things can change in an instant, with the slightest blink of an eye.

My favorite line is "A brilliant diversity spreads like luminous stars...." Oh that one hit home. That's a good marriage, right there. You made me love my life even more.

Your imagery is superb, Marianne! Thanks for this piece,
~Brenda

Elizabeth said...

Your poem is a metaphor for many things. Life, with its spangling moments, or love which can vanish leaving only memory traces. I also liked your explanation of the form,

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I can see you playing with the light and watching the play across the walls.
i loved it.

Tilly Bud said...

What a deceptive poem: seemingly cheerful, but with a kick at the end. Nicely done.

Granny Sue said...

Lovely!

Sheila Deeth said...

You take me back to the day I got engaged and could hardly tear my eyes from the rainbows flashing from my finger.