Sunday, April 1, 2012

NaPoWriMo Day 1: No Time To Sleep

Greetings to all my fellow NaPoWriMo poets! I plan to write one poem a day for each day of April, in honor of National Poem Writing Month. Many thanks to Maureen Thorson, for organizing this group.

The first challenge of NaPoWriMo 2012 is "to seize the day with a “carpe diem” poem."



No Time To Sleep
It's the last night of summer,
windows cranked wide,
warm breeze nudging dry leaves
down the sidewalk.

Tonight I grudgingly concede
God is eternal and I am not,
but then neither are the stars,
the oceans, the mountains,

the rusty autumn winds.
Heaven is eternal, too,
that shimmery realm of angels;
heaven will go on forever.

If not immortal, I am
rather a sojourner
on the briefest of journeys,
my time here fleeting.

It pains me to say
my life is mostly over,
the time I have left short,
a harsh reality to accept.

No one prepared me
for how fast it goes.
I thought I had all the time
in the world. Nobody does.

From now on, I will savor
whatever comes my way.
Each sunset, every rose,
the scent of lilacs.

I will squeeze every drop
of life from the moment.
There's not enough time to sleep,
no precious minutes to waste.

I can slumber
when I am no more.
But for now, I will
live life to the fullest!

3 comments:

flaubert said...

Love this, Marianne. I was curious if you were joining in the poem a day craziness, and I see you are. Happy writing!

Pamela

Simple Pleasures said...

Wonderful poetry~

Mary Beth Frezon said...

You've got a great start to NaPoWriMo - look forward to reading more.