Saturday, August 4, 2012

Wordle 68: Midnight

New wordle words from Brenda (and Len) at The Sunday Whirl:
marrow, link, store, anchor,
wake, navigate, stern, deck,
pitch, sink, rail, port

Midnight
He stands at ship's rail,
hands firmly anchored
in pockets, watches silvery
wake trail behind;
links of swirling metal.
Eddies stir the surface
into boiling, briny stew.
Low-flying seabirds use
moon's brassy beacon
to navigate the ocean,
unfathomable, black as pitch.
They sweep and glide and sink
through marrow of endless,
gossamer dark, flutter above
without touching water below.
In the morning, they're gone.

13 comments:

annell4 said...

"The tricks they play"...hummmm...I wonder? I love this captured moment, with "swirling silvery wake trailing behind...in the moon's bright light."

Daydreamertoo said...

I'm also intrigued by that last line...I wonder if he's expecting some bird poop...lol
Lovely imagery.

flaubert said...

Marianne, I too, loved the imagery in this one. Nicely done.

Pamela

barbara said...

Nice. I like the idea of the night being thin and light.

Elizabeth said...

You certainly did find a poetical solution. Wonderfully vivid imagery and an awareness of man and the sea and how little that relationship has altered over time.

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

This phrase "They sweep and glide and sink in endless gossamer dark" just tickles my imagination. Lovely.

When Words Escape said...

LOVED the use of "unfathomable" -- so much imagery. All very lovely!

Walt Wojtanik said...

Yes, Marianne! This drips with images very visual in my mind's eye. A great piece of poetics!

flipside records said...

I really like this:

"hands anchored in pockets,
watches the swirling
silvery wake trail behind
like fine metalwork"

irene said...

Another mood piece. I should emulate!

Anonymous said...

very nice. As others have said - dark, moody and a very intriguing last line

Mark

S.E.Ingraham said...

Very pretty use of these nautical terms ... wordled a lovely poem Marianne, one I could visualize easily ... well done.

brenda w said...

Love it--I was just there! THis is beautiful, Marianne. I especially love your description of the wake.