Saturday, August 18, 2012

Wordle 70: A Muddle Of Fog

New wordle words from Brenda at The Sunday Whirl:
tip, fix, tinted, preludes,
vivid, tinny, drifts, nick,
waves, gentle, limbs, insidious, split


A Muddle Of Fog
All night long
slate-tinted filaments
of mist drift in so thick
she can't see the lake.
She hears the waves
gentle prelude breaking
against the shore.
The water calls to her,
softly, relentlessly.
The wind whispers
dirge-like secrets.
Soaring night-birds split
the tinny darkness;
collide with
hard spatters of rain.


Notes:
Water seems to be driving my work lately. Must be because I grew up at one of Minnesota's 10,000 lakes. Now I live just 2 miles from the mighty Mississippi River. My mental hard drive is packed with dozens of memories of the faces and moods of Golden Lake (like the Henry Fonda/Katherine Hepburn movie On Golden Pond), in all seasons and weather, in the morning, at sunset and at night.


17 comments:

Mary said...

The wind whispering dirge-like secrets gives this poem an ominous tone.

Enjoyed your use of wordle words.

Daydreamertoo said...

Oh... sad... and yes, as Mary says, somehow ominous in the dirge and secrets.
Very vivid imagery Marianne.

annell4 said...

Loely write! I enjoyed it.

Laurie Kolp said...

Beautiful! I can easily picture this.

brenda w said...

"slate-tinted filaments / of mist drift in..."

Wow! This is so beautiful, Marianne. You have a way with water in its many forms. I find it at play often in your work, and love it. Brava!

flaubert said...

Vivid imagery, Marianne. Yes, your writing does often reflect how you are or were surrounded by water. Beautiful.

Pamela

Jules said...

Write about water anytime. When we moved here about twenty years ago the choice was in the middle of a neighborhood or at the edge by a creek...Creek it is! I wish it were just a tad clearer so I could see the bass and other critters. Mostly muddy but it attracts wonderful wildlife.

I'm here:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/08/sw-70-feathers-flights-and-foundlings.html

Elizabeth said...

I lived near Lake Michigan and often spent hours soaking up its emotional mood swings. You write of the water well,

Elizabeth

Willow said...

Beautiful, I grew up on a lake, I can picture this, I love water too.

Maude Lynn said...

This is gorgeous!

teri said...

Another water lover chiming in. Wonderful and unmuddled.

irene said...

Impactful ending, Marianne. Strangely, I've been thinking about writing about water.

S.E.Ingraham said...

Water's so mesmerizing Marianne and you've used its powers to grand effect in your wordled poem here ... nicely done.

http://thepoet-tree-house.blogspot.ca/2012/08/grey-matters.html

Walt Wojtanik said...

A "Muddle of Fog"? I love that better than a "gaggle of waffles"! Image laden and very well written, Marianne!

Cathy said...

She hears the waves,
gentle prelude breaking
against the shore.
The water calls to her,
softly, relentlessly.

Simple prefect adn enjoy the poem very much.

Hannah said...

Soaring night-birds split
the tinny darkness;


Striking...great wordle!

Sara McNulty said...

This is like a fairy tale with music.