Sunday, April 21, 2013

2013 NaPoWriMo #21 and Wordle #105: Terror In The Street

A bakers dozen of wordle words from Brenda at The Sunday Whirl:
shipped, shelter, shock, bomb, promise, struggle, spent,
infidels, land, resilience, against, thrive, harden

Terror In The Street
Hidden in ordinary backpacks,
deadly pressure cooker bombs 
explode near the finish line
of Boston Marathon,
leave a stunned city on lockdown
and a nation on edge. 
Blast sites horrific;
loss of life, maiming,
massive destruction. 
Explosion debris lands
on rooftops, embeds in walls.
Shock waves ripple
across the country,
from California to New York,
Minnesota to Texas. 
Amid chaos and despair
heroes emerge: first 
responders rush to the site,
Bostonians open their homes
and hearts to help. 
Americans are a resilient people,
"when they come together
they cannot be brought down."

Process Notes:
As I looked at the words, I knew I had to write about the bombing at the Boston Marathon. I wrote this Friday night, as 19 year old Dzhokar Tsarnaevev, Suspect 2, lay bleeding on a boat in Watertown.

8 comments:

brenda w said...

Amen, Sistah! I love the positive focus toward the end of your piece. We are resilient, but it sure is painful having that tested. Well written response with the words, Marianne.

Stan Ski said...

I think this has been on everyone's mind around the world, and the shockwaves have been felt everywhere...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Stan, the shockwaves are still echoing all around us. Hope only that sane and reasonable minds prevail. And with Brenda at the positive energy you included in your ending. Can only hope to see more of that as well,

Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/after-breaking/

Andy Sewina said...

Phew,yes Americans are resilient people, and our thoughts from across the pond are with you.

My Day Twenty-One

Anonymous said...

nicely done.

Randy

Old Egg said...

Terrorism is the new war. There is nothing declared, no formal document just the realization that we do not have peace and we sleep uneasy in our beds. The world is much smaller now and there is nowhere to hide. To become safer we may have to lose some freedoms. Dare we do this?

flaubert said...

Marianne, that whole scene was completely exhausting for me and my husband. I am so glad it is over, but dare I say until the next time. Well done.

Pamela

Jules said...

I have a friend blogger right in the middle. Her photos of Boston reminded me of 911, and even WWII photos where streets were full of chaos, police and military and then empty.