Wednesday, April 3, 2013

2013 NaPoWriMo #3: Hardscrabble Farm


Farmers

PROMPT THREE: Photos
From Miz Quickly's Impromptu Poetry Month
Choose a photo as a starting point for your writing today. 
Add one detail of color.

Hardscrabble Farm
Caught in the middle of a life,
eking out an almost existence.
No rain, poor soil; and always 
the dirt, fine black-brown earth,
day and night, drifting like snow, 
swirling in all directions. Powdery,
gritty, silting into every cranny, 
filling his nose and eyes, covering 
bed sheets, coating blankets and skin,
in the milk and in the water.
And the moaning, wailing wind, 
sighing long and low, complaining, 
getting into his head, night and day.

8 comments:

Misky said...

Wonderfully written. Feels dry and blowy and cracked at the edges. Well done!

Andy Sewina said...

Great observation, fine commentary!

My Day Three is here

mizquickly said...

The milk is a perfect detail.

Stan Ski said...

You caught the mood perfectly!

Stan Ski said...

You caught the mood perfectly!

flaubert said...

Perfect description of the photo, Marianne. I now have read 3 poems using this photo. I chose it also, but wrote from the perspective of the dog.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

For some reason this reminds me of Grapes of Wrath, the hardscrabble existence that nurtured the story. Great detail and I agree with Barb, the milk is an excellent focus.

Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/such-words-as-i-cannot-find-now/

brenda w said...

You've really conjured a mood with this piece, Marianne. It would be a good accompanying piece to some young adult novels I use with kids. Is it okay if I print out a copy and file it for later use in my classroom? I'd credit you author, of course.

It's weird to show up to the party so late, but still fun to write and read. ;)