Tuesday, April 9, 2013

2013 NaPoWriMo #9: In The Morning When It Rains



Miz Quickly's prompt for Day 8 (my Day 9), is to write an abecedarian poem.
"The abecedarian is an ancient poetic form guided by alphabetical order. Generally each line or stanza begins with the first letter of the alphabet and is followed by the successive letter, until the final letter is reached."


In The Morning When It Rains
At almost any Aprilday,  
bloated beads of dewy rain 
can collect on camels, cabals and cottages,
drizzly-drip-dropping downpour dances, drinks 
earth, every-where-every-thing, washes
first flowers of spring.
Grass grows greener as
hallowed heavens open, 
instantly inundate
jibber-jabbed jonquils.
Kiddie kites grounded,
liquid lullaby lulls
marigolds magnolias mums.
Never-ending (sun napping),
out-pouring over obligatory
perky petunias. 
Quirky-quick 
rush of rain races,
silvers slishity-sloshity streets.
Torrent tumbles, deep
underground, up through roots,
victorious
Wetted earth wakes sun, whispers:
x marks the spot,
yields to yellow and
zing goes the world.


NOTES:
Raining earlier this morning. Birdies chirping their little hearts out now. Snow (bleep) in the forecast for Thursday. I may have bent the rules a bit here. This is the first one of these I've tried.

6 comments:

Stan Ski said...

I think I know the alphabet off by heart now... :)

Misky said...

Well done!

Jules said...

'jibber-jabber jonquils' a favorite line. Took a walk today with my little one and saw jonquils, daffs, hyasith and even clover in flower.

One goes where life leads. Childhood is but one portion...a great hubby, wonderful sons - other support and friends lead to other lanes. :)

flaubert said...

Nice alliteration, Marianne.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed the sounds of this one. Well done,

Elizabeth

brenda w said...

Onomatopoeia works beautifully here. I'm impressed that you were able to use this form with such aplomb. Well done.