Friday, July 12, 2013

Wordle #117: There Are No Second Chances

New wordle prompt from Brenda at The Sunday Whirl.
Use all, or some of the words in a poem:
conscience, together, mistake, leave, note, sick
friends, second, rest, translate, lab, detect


There Are No Second Chances
l
When it was still summer
we lay together in the tall grass.
Weeks later the leaves have all come down,
shrouding the dead ground.
Yesterday I tried to translate
the note scrawled on my tombstone.

ll
I had a friend who believed in heaven;
she was cursed with a conscience.
I suppose I had my own moral code,
but I wonder, if I could live again,
would I make the same mistakes,
the same poor choices.

lll
I rest in the deep shadows,
eternally damned,
while the raw north wind blows.
God is gone from my radar.
There is emptiness everywhere;
there is nothing worse than this place.

12 comments:

Stan Ski said...

I'm glad it's still summer...

flaubert said...

There is a hint of Poe in this, Marianne. Nicely done.

Pamela

brenda w said...

A heavy weight anchors this piece. It's a rough go for some, with or without a moral code. I'm glad we are not in that empty place.

Walt Wojtanik said...

Your wisdom laced with cynicism works well. Not as macabre as it seems. A "soul" search.

Old Egg said...

This is a stunningly poignant piece. We have great faith in mind somehow outliving life and being able to reflect in this way. We should instead look at our children and theirs too and say there is part of me living on in them.

Anonymous said...

What a surprising reflection and one, I am sure, many of us share at some point. Like the tone you somehow found to weave these words together. The piece flows and really draws the reader in,

Elizabeth

humbird said...

second chance? o,yes,no mistakes, we're learning, the situations will be repeated until we get the lesson...we're exactly there where suppose to be...cheers

kaykuala said...

A second chance is a blessing and an education. You've blended it very well Marianne!

Hank

Nanka said...

Hauntingly beautiful!!

God always welcomes our petitions and does not mind at all, how often we knock to call and plead with him!! That means hope!!

Cathy said...

Whoa! this was just plain excellent. Just love the tone of it, especially the last stanza.

Lady In Read said...

like everyone else, totally loved this..
I especially loved the last two lines - in every stanza..

gautami tripathy said...

Soulful poem...

in the shadows, let it be