Monday, April 15, 2019

DAY 82 - AN ENDING

AN ENDING

82.

Coming home from the store,
her breath makes clouds in the winter sky.
Arriving at her apartment, 
she stows the Doritos in the cupboard,
cola at the back of the fridge
where it's always coldest.
She needs to file her nails tonight,
use the whitening strips
her mother gave her for a whiter smile.
A falling star streaks across the sky;
somewhere close by a door slams.
Unremarkable, average, ordinary.
That's one ending for this story.


*comments welcome


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I like the simplicity of images, one atop another. You could change one each day and have a different ending for the rest of the month, lol. 13 Ways of Looking at white, a haiku about that slamming door, the crispness of those chips, etc. Sorry, I got carried away. But, your images are simple but strong and they leave an impression. Thanks for this one.

Elizabeth
https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2019/04/15/half-way/

annell4 said...

Dear Marianne I liked your poem mucho!!

I read once, just write it down, whatever comes to your mind, just write it down...often something comes in my mind, and I think, "I can't write that.....it doesn't make sense, it is not good, etc.etc. But when I just write it down, it is often the best part of my poem...be fearless, and just write it down, it can be elliminated later.

flaubert said...

Excellent writing, Marianne.

Love,
Pamela