Saturday, April 17, 2010

Napowrimo #17: something elemental

Prompt for Day 17
Fire, earth, water, wind. They touch our lives every day. Choose one, then take a point of view that is not so much your usual. Observe what interaction you’ve known, or not known, with this element.

I AM
Virgo, I am of the earth,
blade of grass, bit of mud,
fruitful garden,
separate from sky and sea.

Pragmatic in all things
feet firmly planted on the ground,
I divide the good from the bad,
valuable wheat from worthless chaff.

Hardworking, I am the rich black soil
from ancient civilizations.
Vulnerable, I am
the mouldering grave of man.

Independent and strong,
determined to succeed
in my goals,
I am solid, raw, eternal.

8 comments:

lucychili said...

the poem feels
firm and earthy

Anonymous said...

love how you become the earth.

flaubert said...

Marianne,
I can smell the earth, rich and dark.
Nicely done.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

I love the poem. Also love your Wallace Stevens quote.

Sheila Deeth said...

Beautifully personified. Brings in the senses nicely with rich black soil

Anonymous said...

This piece personalizes the element nicely. I wish I'd written it.

Robin said...

Marianne--Really well done. Very beautiful and expressive; "valuable wheat from worthless chaff" and "black soil from ancient civilizations"--wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Nice, Marianne. I really enjoyed this poem. "I am the rick black soil from ancient civilizations"...Wow!...Great stuff!