
PHOTO: PADRE ISLAND, TEXAS
In your words (poem, prose, flash fiction), tell the why, who, what, where, when, or how regarding a real or imaginary friend/friendship — whatever moves you to write. I chose to write about my husband and his imaginary friend, Mickey!
Growing Up In Corpus Christi In The Fifties
Hide-and-go-seek afternoons, playing cowboys,
pretend gunfights between good guys and bad guys,
galloping through every backyard on Aransas Street.
Lazy summer days spent on August brown lawns,
Mothers pouring lemonade in cool, homegrown shadows,
worn-out memories from long ago.
Aunt Bonnie locked herself in the closet
so we wouldn't hear her crying, but I heard,
found Mickey, imaginary friend, whispered,
let's get out of here. Together we rode off
on our bicycles, Bazooka Bubble gum popping,
to our safe place, the sandy beaches at Padre,
until it was time to go home for dinner.
8 comments:
How charming a poem Marianne. The marvellous details are so evocative.
Love this! I can actually see this child with his imaginery friend doing all these things. Great details.
The adult world is the real reason for imaginary friends
Hey Marianne -- your poem reminded me of a memoir I just read (Zippy). Although your lives were different, you had her same voice. I liked it.
http://lindagoin.com/
A great memory of youth. Marvellous.
nice childhood memories
Pamela
How fortunate for you. My imaginary friend was a real jerk.
mmmmmmmm growing up in the 50s....sooooooooo good....so lucky we were...thanks for sharing this
Post a Comment