Prompt: Twilight in Summer. Choose a piece of music that expresses summer twilight and listen to it for the next week. Make sure it is on you tube so we can listen while reading your poem. Oh, and I almost forgot ... in terza rima sonnet form please!
After reading “Acquainted with the Night,” by Robert Frost, I was ready to write my first sonnet. Frost’s sonnet-type poem was written in terza rima—four three-line stanzas rhymed aba bcb cdc dad and a closing couplet rhymed aa.
One important question: Can anyone tell me, must a sonnet have 14 lines, and 10 syllables per line? Alas, mine has just 11 lines ...
As always, my thanks to Rall for this peachy prompt! My mind is most definitely s t r e t c h e d!
Peter Nero ~ Theme from The Summer of '42
This haunting melody has always had the power to move me deeply. I saw the movie, Summer of '42, when it came out in 1971, with my brother. He was killed in a car crash shortly after that. Summer of '42 is an American "coming-of-age" drama based on the memoirs of screenwriter Herman Raucher. It's the story of Raucher as a boy in his early teens on a 1942 summer vacation on Nantucket Island, off the coast of New England. He embarked on a one-sided romance with a young woman whose husband had gone to fight in World War II.
Twilight Time
Shine on, sultry moon of summer twilight.
Shine true, bright orb in enigmatic dark.
Shine bold, silvery staircase to starlight.
I have spotted shooting stars in moonlit park,
Watched fireworks exploding near the bay,
Journeyed toward a sky of twinkling spark,
Then pondered the reality of day
When all things were arrayed in limpid light
And mortality caused good men to pray.
Shine on, O silver moon of summer night,
I have seen the gleaming pinnacle of light.
12 comments:
pretty, Marianne. I like the juxtposition of the shooting stars and fireworks.
(can't swear, but I believe the sonnet is by definition 14 lines of the same length, and usually iambic pentameter. Mine is not a sonnet, and not really terza rima.)
Barb, I love what you did with your summer poem ("something I’m calling a terza rima.") It's probably a better poem because it's not technically a terza rima sonnet, with the froufrou addition of iambic pentameter! ba-BUM / ba-BUM / ba-BUM / ba-BUM / ba-BUM
Makes me think 'Shine on you crazy diamond' and 'Stairway to Heaven'
Yeah, this works for me, love the 'shine on' bit and the way you brought it back in at the end!
These poems and links to songs, some familiar like yours and others not, is providing a sensory overload. I loved this film and soundtrack, and feel you've done it a great service with your poem.
I like the emphasis on moon rather than sun, and you have made it very romantic. The last line is fabulous.
ViV
Love your great choice of music... 14 lines for a sonnet but still a good poem...my fault, I should have posted the formula! You don't have to use iambic pentameter in a sonnet and there are no bums.Fellini is still in your brain.
da-DUM/:)
I love your "silvery staircase to starlight" and the third stanza. The music is great too; I had forgotten it!
This is beautiful, Marianne. Starting the first three lines with Shine is brilliant. (no pun intended) I love this.
Marianne I was thinking "Shine on you crazy diamond" also!
Really nice work!
Pamela
Stan & Pamela,
Am I showing my age if I admit I don't know "Shine on you crazy diamond?" Is it something by Pink Floyd??? Can someone please enlighten me?
Nicely done, and I can hear Robert Frost in this, which is not a bad thing.
Post a Comment