Tuesday, July 13, 2010

POW Prompt #11: Write in the style of Jacques Prevert

Prompt: Write a poem in the style of Jacques Prevert, with some French sprinkles. Prévert's style is short sentences without punctuation

Thanks, Rall, for another great prompt! I really liked this simple, straightforward style, and wrote two poems.

1. I was inspired to write this while babysitting my 9 month old granddaughter. I've been taking care of her 3 days a week since January.


La Grand-Mère
for Nora
Self-centered
self-absorbed
she plans to write
for an hour
while the baby naps
but instead
le bébé cries
le bébé cries
le bébé cries
introspection shattered
morning quiet shattered
her muse toppled
the lusty cries
chastise
scold
grow louder
torn she wants
to write
now
right
now
this minute
but the baby
petit amour
is calling

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. This beautiful, passionate, seductive, luscious movie came out in 1966. My husband and I met in 1967. We loved the movie and played the album over and over ...


Un Homme Et Une Femme
They were lovers before
before they married
before the children
before accountability
their passion
scorching
torching
consuming
electric stars
sparking
to the tips
of their toes
love followed
solid
indestructible
love bound them
together
together
long after
the passion
burned out
long after
the electric bill
was paid-in-full

13 comments:

brenda w said...

Marianne-I love both of these pieces. You conjured Prevert especially well in the first one. It reminded me of the pieces I read througout the week.

You managed to bring the mundane into each piece, which from what I can see is one of Prevert's hallmarks. Well done. I enjoyed both pieces a great deal.

Rallentanda said...

I love Prevert's style too. I remember that movie so well. Anouk Aimee was so beautiful. Doesn't time fly? Love the reference to the electricity bill..ha! Enjoyed both of these. You are such une bonne grandmere.Get a tape of French nursery rhymes and make the kid bilingual:)

vivienne blake said...

I reckon Rall is to be heartily congratulated: her prompt has provoked some truly magnificent poems, and your two are up right up there. I love them both, but my favourite - because it could almost have been written by Prevert - is the second one.

Mary said...

Oh, Marianne, I can empathize with your first poem especially. I am another grandmother who watches two grandchildren all day, and I try to write before or after....or squeeze in some time while they are here, but it is SOOOO hard, as you have expressed. My poem has a similarity!

http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2010/07/finale-du-jour-we-look-out-window-wait.html

barbara said...

ah, yes. That's why I stay with farce and fantasy, you almost never have to pay the bills. In the grand romances, there's almost always a charge for the charge.

If I had to pick between your poems, it would be le bebe. That repetition gives such a nice representation of the hush-crying-baby-rock/walk.

Diane T said...

Both are beautiful poems, Marianne. You write very well in the style of Prevert!

flaubert said...

Marianne both are wonderful poems but I love the first la bebe`
Well done!
Pamela

Stan Ski said...

I like the way both pieces redeem themselves, despite the obstacles - 'petit amour', in the firt, and 'indestructible love', in the second.

J. D. mackenzie said...

Yes, wonderful surrender of your poetic aspirations - in the short term - to this little angel. And a differnt sort of surrender, to time, in the second. Who could have known how we'd take to this poet? Clearly you did!

Francis Scudellari said...

The two pieces together take us on quite a journey... the passion of young love, moving toward comfort of more mature love, and then the joys (and distractions) of being a grandmother.

Wayne Pitchko said...

bien fait Marianne

Anonymous said...

Your granddaughter is precious and your poems magnificent. Thanks :)

Rallentanda said...

POW has passed away. It was untimely but quick. Thank you for your participation and lovely poems Marianne.Will visit you from time to time.
Cheers
Rall