Saturday, July 3, 2010

Writer's Island Prompt #10: Fork in the Road

FORK IN THE ROAD: What comes to mind when you think of an inevitable decision; perhaps a direction you took in the past that you celebrate, regret, or about which you’re still uncertain. Tell us in your words the who, what, where, when, why or how regarding choices.







This photo was taken the day my husband and I got engaged, about one hundred years ago! We look so young! And so dressed up!









CHOICES
Reflecting on the journey that is her life,
somewhere on the path from there to here, she
considers the road she's taken. It's incredible
when she thinks about it. A fledgling wife of
twenty-three agrees to spend her whole life with
one person, also twenty-three, who likewise agrees
to spend his life with her. And thirty-nine years
later, after countless bumps and detours, constantly
struggling for balance and juggling time, they're
still at it, somehow making it work every day.

10 comments:

Robert Lloyd said...

I love that your writing showed a positive outcome. When folks write for prompts they tend to be a tad melancholy but yours shows a realistic struggle for happiness with no regret. Congratulations on 39 years. Soon you will have to plan for the big 50 and when that happens I’m sure the memories will be all the more sweeter. Thank you for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

It's good to go back and explore the outcomes of the decisions we have made, both large and small. I like your take on the prompt.

Elizabeth

Stan Ski said...

Way to go! Stay on that path.

flaubert said...

Marianne
First I love the pic and I am so happy you found each other!
Nice honest poem!
Pamela

Mary said...

Congratulations on those 39 years! I'm sure you experienced lots of 'forks' along the way!

http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2010/07/forks-in-road.html

anthonynorth said...

Sounds like the right path to me.

vivienne blake said...

Great record, great poem.

one more believer said...

i like that still at it making it work every day... isn't that wonderful every day is brand new to start again and keep on going... congrats on 39 years...

Robin said...

It is definitely incredible how big some decisions we make are and how, even with the bumps along the way, we often can make them work, as you have done. Congrats!

Rallentanda said...

Marianne I just knew you were an even keeled,stable,easy going type of personality.I have often wondered what that must be like.I
think your life must be a peaceful and contentented one. We are the same age (can tell by the pic)