Saturday, April 16, 2011

NaPoWriMo #16 - Write a Tanka

Tanka
The Tanka is a Haiku. It focuses on nature and the seasons, but is a bit longer than the Haiku. It consists of 5 lines for a total of 31 syllables, with lots of expression and musicality.

The syllables per line are according to the following pattern:
5 - 7 - 5 - 7 - 7.

An Ending
Her words pierced my heart
more completely than a sword,
pain raw and intense.
Now, sun is gone from my sky,
my body is full of tears.

5 comments:

lucychili said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lucychili said...

perhaps the moon could soften sad shadows =)

Rallentanda said...

I love the tanka. I like them in sets of three.You sound very upset
Marianne...so unlike you to write a poem like that.I wonder what has happened.

flaubert said...

A beautifully sad poem, nicely executed tanka, Marianne. You do so well with form poetry.
Pamela

K.A. Bell said...

Nicely done. But then, I always love the dark stuff. I'm going to try one or two.