Tuesday, April 19, 2011

NaPoWriMo #19 - Write a Sevenling Poem

Sevenling (Job Interview)
Job interview,
I am fifty-two
frumpy and plumply qualified.

Job interview,
she's twenty-two
no skills, drop-dead gorgeous.

Sorry, you are over-qualified for this job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note: I found this form at Sadly Waiting For Recess, where you will find an excellent sevenling written by Mr. Walker!
Sevenling
The first three lines should contain an element of three - three connected or contrasting statements, or a list of three details, names or possibilities. This can take up all of the three lines or be contained anywhere within them. Then, lines four to six should similarly contain an element of three, connected directly or indirectly or not at all. The seventh line should act as a narrative summary or punchline or as an unusual juxtaposition. There are no set metrical rules. It should be set out in two stanzas of three lines, with a solitary seventh, last line. A sevenling should be titled Sevenling followed by the first few words in parentheses The tone of the sevenling should be mysterious, offbeat or disturbing, giving a feeling that only part of the story is being told.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Wow, this is excellent. I will have to think about doing a 'sevening poem.' Seems a bit tricky to me!

flaubert said...

Nicely executed sevenling, Marianne, about a subject, that is all too prevalent in society today.

Pamela

Mary said...

OK, here are my two attempts at "sevenlings." Thanks to you and Mr. Walker!

http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2011/04/two-sevenlings.html

brenda w said...

Bummer. I'm about there, but currently employed. Something to be said for youth, I guess. Think about it, though, hiring them is only asking for trouble, and I'll die or retire before I climb to the top of the payscale. ha ha!
~Brenda

Mr. Walker said...

Sadly, your poem rings true - and it's not just the bad economy now. Well-written. And thanks for the mention. I love how we read each other's poems and inspire each other.

Rallentanda said...

You're a whizz bang at these forms Marianne. Depressing fact of life in an ageist society.

Sheila Deeth said...

You got a laugh out of me, and introduced me to a new form.

Hmm. Wonder what this says for my job prospects. Keep sending out the applications, but I rather suspect what you say is sadly true.