Wednesday, April 20, 2011

NaPoWriMo #20 - Write a "Like (blank)" Poem

The following prompt comes from Robert Lee Brewer at Poetic Asides :
Take the phrase "Like (blank)," replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title to your poem, and write your poem. Some example titles might be: "Like Superman," "Like Criminals," "Like a Poem," "Like Whatever," etc.


Like Bad Weather
I remember a crazy drunk summer night
back in my hometown and a trip through
the Super Kleen Car Wash with a boy,
my cherry-red lips blowing pink bubblegum
bubbles, cigarette smoke stinging his
steel blue eyes, the water pounding
and cruel, the kind you have to shelter
from. I guess we needed an umbrella.

7 comments:

flaubert said...

Nice image you evoked there, Marianne. You put me right in the scene. Wonderful.

Pamela

fernandflora said...

hello! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the tasty egg recipe! It might just do the trick!

Rallentanda said...

I so pleased you didn't write
"like a virgin for the very first time"....in a silly mood today Marianne!

koralee said...

So lovely! Just had to pop over to visit you and tell you where I got those cupcake liners...from a dear friend in Holland...I feel so blessed. So happy you came by the other day. Hugs for a great day. xoxo

Mary said...

I love this, Marianne! I can see the scene clearly!

Sheila Deeth said...

Very neat. Brings the scene to life.

lucychili said...

heh