Thursday, April 21, 2011
NaPoWriMo #21
What Will It Take
I'm on my way to work, hoping the next stop
light doesn't turn red before I get there,
when I see him, unwashed and rumpled,
the same corner every day with the same
downcast body language. His cardboard sign
says: Will Work For Food. A window in the car
ahead opens and two dollar bills come out.
Others pass by without a thought or look.
I take his image with me as I turn the corner,
drive a few more blocks, park on Snelling.
I wonder what it will take to get this man
a job. Street people are not marketable;
demand for low-wage jobs exceeds supply.
In countries where there are poor people,
and that includes the US of A, people
without jobs or futures can end up beggars.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Marianne, a sad reality, stated quite well. Surprisingly, here in Mexico you don't see homeless people like in the USA.
Pamela
Interesting, Pamela. I wonder if the reason you don't see it there is due in part to extended families. It seems that family structure degenerates easily here.
Great poem, Marianne. I see people like that every day. They frequent the exit from Walmart's parking lot. Nicely done. The truth of your poem is sad.
~Brenda
Disgraceful! Sorry, but I'm pleased I don't live in a country like that.
I wonder how many offers he has with his 'will work for food' sign. I wonder what skills he has. I wonder how his life took this turn, wonder if he has any famiy or friends. I like this poem, Marianne. It will stick with me because of the words you used!
Very sad, very true, and very neatly told.
Post a Comment