Saturday, April 23, 2011

NaPoWriMo #23 - Write a Cento Poem

Poet Danielle Pafunda, who has been posting her NaPoems at the Bloof Books website, organized a cento contest. A cento is a poem composed entirely of lines from other poems. Danielle tweeted lines from various poems through the twitter feed of the Academy of American Poets. I used those lines to compose a new poem.

Consider

I'm drunk. I stand on the porch in my bathrobe,
green trousers and purple velour sleeves,
sleepily indifferent.

I hear the clock snap, I swipe an ant.
How fibrous and incidental it seems;
the trick is to make it personal.

I am safe in the deep V of a weekday,
implicit with stars in active orbit
in the glaring white gap.

Jars of buttons spilled,
paper sacks stuffed full of orange
gloves, blame her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guidelines:
1. How many of the Tweeted lines should be used to construct the cento? As few or as many as you like.
2. May I add lines not sourced from the Twitter feed? No, I'm sorry, you may not.
3. Must I use the entire line? May I break the line? Etc.? I'm inclined to be a bossy boots and say you must use the whole line as I Tweeted it, but what's the fun in that? Do as you will!
4. May I alter the punctuation of these lines? Yes, you may!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Key to lines:
Consider what you've said: --Nicolas Boileau-Despréaux “The Art of Poetry” trans. John Dryden
1. I'm drunk. I stand on the porch in my bathrobe --Keetje Kulpers “Across a Great Wilderness without You”
2. green trousers and purple velour sleeves. --Harryette Mullen from “Tanka Diary”
3. sleepily indifferent --William Carlos Williams “Summer Song”

4. I hear the clock snap I swipe an ant --Juan Felipe Herrera “tomorrow I leave to El Paso, Texas”
5. How fibrous and incidental it seems. --Sarah Gambito “Holiday”
6. The trick is to make it personal: --Khaled Mattawa “Ecclesiastes”

7. I am safe in the deep V of a weekday --Rachel Zucker “After Baby After Baby”
8. implicit with stars in active orbit, --Marie Ponsot “Imagining Starry”
9. in the glaring white gap --Medbh McGuckian “Painting by Moonlight”

10. jars of buttons spilled, recurring --Dean Young “Scarecrow on Fire”
11. paper sacks stuffed full of orange --Shin Yu Pai “Six Persimmons”
12. gloves, blame her --Sara London “Tell Me”

3 comments:

Mary said...

Wow, wonderful completion of this challenge. I looked at it and said to myself, "No way." At first before I realized what you were doing, I was a bit 'surprised' by the first line. LOL. Anyway I think your poem succeeded beautifully and even made sense out of the combination of lines.

flaubert said...

Marianne, you pieced this together nicely, and made it your own. I did one the other day using Bukowski, but am unsure if I want to post it.
I am looking forward to the syllabic:)

Pamela

Marianne said...

Mary - Thanks for the good laugh! It's been a long time since I stood on the porch in my bathrobe, the key word here being ... "drunk!"

Pamela - I love Bulowski and hope you post your cento! I remember writing one last year when I did ReadWritePoem. Bukowski's words lent themselves very nicely! I was actually considering doing another one using his words.