Sunday, April 3, 2011

NaPoWriMo #3 - Postcard Poem

Postcards From Summer Camp

June 20, 1963
Sorry about my handwriting.
I'm holding a clipboard on my knees
while I sit on a cot in my tent,
flashlight in one hand, pen in the other,
trying to swat mosquitoes.
Drizzled yesterday afternoon,
rained torrents last night.
Today was the first day it didn't rain.
If you have an extra picture
will you please send it?



July 9, 1963
Heard you were asking
about Maggie. Well, it's this way.
She's someone I knew a long time
ago; she moved to Washington.
You don't have anything to worry
about. You asked about my birthday.
I'll be 17 August 10.
When's your birthday?
Can you come for a visit?
I like your red ink.



August 4, 1963

The camp director's wife
gave a peach shortcake party.
It's the first fresh fruit
I've had in weeks.
Everything in a muddle here
because we're closing camp,
taking inventory. Temperature
dropped to 38 degrees last night.
Hard to get up this morning.
Got your letter.



P.S.
Bet you don't know what 88's
means. 88's in code on a ham set
means Love 'n' Kisses. My bunk mate
is a ham operator. Write soon.
88's only for you.

6 comments:

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

awesome piece..

Thanks for sharing those old poems...

flaubert said...

Cleverly done, Marianne. I like the succession here. I think the postcard format is interesting.

Pamela

brenda w said...

This is good. The first card got me remembering my own summercamp experience. I like the voice in the piece. Well done!
~Brenda

Mike Patrick said...

Those are so realistic, I'm wondering if you were smart enough to save your postcards. Well done! 88

Marianne said...

You guessed right, Mike! I combined bits and pieces from a summer's worth of corresponding, way back when I was sweet 16!

Sheila Deeth said...

Very cool. Very sweet 16.