Friday, April 1, 2011

NaPoWriMo #2 - On A Balcony

Some days, I know exactly what I want to write about ... and other days, not so much. Big Tent Poetry kindly put up several prompts, one of which immediately struck my fancy:
1. Write about standing on a balcony with someone you’ve read about in the paper.
After I read that, I left to do errands and spied a wonderful little balcony with a citron green chair. That was all I needed to begin.



The Spinster Lady in 311
Every year on the first of April,
she welcomes spring from her tiny balcony,
a small brown wren perched high among
citron-green buds. She hears neighbors
talking, the clink of silverware
on porcelain; in the street below
an old Chevy wheezes past, gray like
the sidewalk. From inside her apartment,
the seductive voice of Juliette Greco
croons "Sous le ciel de Paris." Her wobbly chair
faces the dying sun but she's cold, shivers
slightly, tugs her thick sweater close around
spindly old maid shoulders. Her annual
picnic consists of tart Kalamata olives,
bits of tangy feta, Lavash flat-bread crispy
with sesame seeds, and a goblet of Pinot noir,
spicy with sassafras and cinnamon. Glass
in hand, she toasts the miracle of returning life.

8 comments:

flaubert said...

Marianne, it is so wonderful to see you writing, I have missed reading your beautiful verse.

Pamela

Mr. Walker said...

"spicy with sassafras and cinnamon" - a delightful line and one that sums up this portrait, a little sweet and a little sad.

Wayne Pitchko said...

nice to cathc up with you again marianne......thanks for your words from a balcony

Mike Patrick said...

So descriptive she feels like a relative. Absolutely lovely.

Tumblewords: said...

I adore this piece - it's full of wonder, character, fine imagery and thoughtfulness.

irene said...

What a lovely portrait. You drew out her characteristics with so much flavor.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

keep it up..
well done .

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Your posts are beautiful, Marianne.
So is your name, it sounds very Dutch!
Have a happy Tuesday x