Monday, October 10, 2011

Sunday Wordle 25

Another wordle from the Sunday Whirl:
bell * fallow * swallows * admire
pond * ballroom * obsolete * hat-rack
crumb * rambunctious * automobile * garden


There Was A Castle
The once stately mansion stands tense and empty, walls
moss-covered, the crumbling ballroom in shameful disrepair,
mute reminders of what once was but is no more.

Inhabited by stray cats and rambunctious raccoons,
swallows dart through broken window panes, circle
cracked crystal chandeliers swathed in gauzy cobwebs.

If you listen closely, you can hear faint music drifting
on summer soft air, admire phantom ladies in low-cut gowns
twirl past in the arms of handsome ghostly gentlemen.

In overgrown gardens, weedy footpaths lead me to abandoned
fishponds, fallow fruit trees slumber unchecked in forgotten
orchards where flickering fireflies still spangle the night sky.

This gracious lifestyle is now musty and obsolete.
I will not apologize for it, nor will I falter in its defense.
Rather, today I have come to say farewell.

7 comments:

flaubert said...

Oh, lovely, Marianne. It reads like an excerpt from a novel. Well done.

Pamela

Laurie Kolp said...

Beautiful, such vivid and rich language. I agree with Pamela.

Willow said...

Wonderful revisit journey through this poem that ends with leaving it behind, "farewell."

Susannah said...

That is beautiful.

I particularly loved....

"fallow fruit trees slumber unchecked in forgotten
orchards where flickering fireflies still spangle the night sky."

Lovely writing!

vivinfrance said...

This has to be my favourite of all this week's wordle poems: atmospheric, semsual, beautiful.

brenda w said...

Marianne, this is rich writing. The image of the castle you've created is lush and exquisitely detailed. I love the ghostly images in your third stanza. I agree with, Viv. This is the cream of the crop.

Anonymous said...

I just remembered to check back for later wordles; so glad I did. This is smooth writing, fitting in all those words seamlessly.