The Sunday Whirl's new wordle for the new year:
loss * mailbox * shovel * friends
stop * plum * letters * drift
sweaters * wind * stitches * yarn
expected
One Stitch At A Time
Agatha Bloom, age ninety-four,
serenely stitches a sweater,
teacup of Earl Grey at her side.
All day she sits in her armchair.
And knits. And waits. She watches
the world pass by her window, peers as
wind blown snowflakes drift and swirl.
She favors dark-colored yarns, browns
and forest greens. Coiled skeins of deep
plum delicately tangle at her feet.
She sits alone, patiently knitting,
finds it useful to keep busy.
No friends stop to visit, they're all gone,
lost to the casualties of destiny.
She sits in her chair and waits. And knits,
old lady with a lap full of soft purple wool.
Her needles click, resolutely tally
the dwindling seconds of her life.
Knit one, purl one, knit one, purl one,
steadfast rhythm of her heart.
Process Notes:
Agatha Bloom is a compilation of several ladies I have known, including my eighty-nine year old mother, a devoted knitter!
I did not use four of the words.
8 comments:
The last four lines, for all their sadness [not sure that's the word I want], are gorgeous. I love the character you have built and felt an attachment to her fairly quickly. And, then those last four lines. Your tab stays open today, so I can visit Agatha Bloom.
margo
This is sad, but also lovely and steadfast. Gorgeous, Marianne. Like Margo, I'll want to visit Agatha again.
A beautifully sad character you've created, Marianne.Well done. I'm seeing a lot of sadness written to these words today.
Happy 2012!
Pamela
a beautiful but sad character
Wonderful portrait, Marianne. I'd like to keep Miss Agatha company with a little crocheting while she knits...
I love Agatha! She knows her inevitable end, yet she keeps on knitting. Bless her!
A Whirl of Haiku
What Brenda said. I like to think there's quiet strength in knitting. Happy new year Marianne! Thanks for the wordle words.
Poignant. Nicely captured "composite" of the ladies you know.
Post a Comment