
Aaugh! I could not get inspired today. I wrote an epistolary poem, then trashed it. I decided to try my hand at an old standby. A few years ago, I belonged to an online group that wrote rictameters. A rictameter is a nine line poetry form. The 1st and last lines are the same, with the syllable count as follows:
line 1 - 2 syllables - same as line 9
line 2 - 4 syllables
line 3 - 6 syllables
line 4 - 8 syllables
line 5 - 10 syllables
line 6 - 8 syllables
line 7 - 6 syllables
line 8 - 4 syllables
line 9 - 2 syllables - same as line 1
Three Red Balloons
Today,
three red balloons
tied with green and blue strings
tangled in the crab-apple tree,
triggered springtime memories left behind.
Silvery raindrops splattered down,
questions answered, jumbling
dry with soggy.
Today.
5 comments:
I have never heard of a rictameter, but I found it a very interesting form and your poem a good example of the form.
Love it, Marianne. You handle this form so beautifully.
Pamela
I may have to write one before this month is up.
Just chuckling here after having read your NEXT poem. Wanted to know if it was you or Flo who mastered this form!
Nice one, Marianne. Thank you for the introduction to the form. I'm feeling stilted this evening, and may come back to it. ;) The line about triggering memories is excellent. I think you're right there....it's the mundane that touches our spirit and opens memories. Sorry I missed this yesterday, it's been one heck of a week so far!
Brenda
Mary: Flo gets the credit for this one! :)
Post a Comment