The prompt for today: try taking notes while you are traveling. Then write a poem that narrates the process of getting from Point A to Point B. Try to recapture not only the sights and sounds of your trip, but your mental state. Is the sun shining? Are you happy to be going where you’re going? Who will you see when you get there? Try to keep the poem in the present tense.
A Brown Study
Waiting in line
at the auto bank,
the cars around me
a murky blur,
I listen to public radio,
a solemn Bach concerto.
A single pale moth,
almost invisible,
collides
with the bank's brick wall.
Prickly clumps of parched
weeds dot the asphalt,
like hair sprouting
from an old man's ears.
Cloudy images
of sepia-leafed branches
reflect off the teller's window.
Another week finally over,
I'm tired and cranky.
Transaction complete,
I speed down the shadowy
tunnel of the alley,
head for home
and the weekend.
2 comments:
Sometimes it is good to have something to do with one's mind when waiting in line!
Nice capture of the scene, Marianne.
Pamela
Post a Comment