In honor of Earth Day, the prompt is to write a poem about a plant. Flowers have been the subject of poems since time immemorial, and continue to be a source of inspiration. Or perhaps write about a tree, or a shrub, or grass. I have been inspired to write about the glorious lilacs blooming everywhere here in St. Paul.
Lilac Alley
Spring unfurls once again,
pale blue wild violets peep
in the cramped space between
garage and trash bin,
deep purple lilacs hold court
in the alley behind my house,
branches bowed under
a carnival of blooms.
I stagger like a drunkard, from
one side of the alley to the other,
pull down heavy clusters of blossoms,
bury my face in sweet perfume.
Essence of springtime,
the wayward scent of lilacs
haunts me all year.
3 comments:
Beautiful. There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, like the smell of spring lilacs. They have not bloomed yet in the southeastern area of the state to your east. I'm waiting! Moreso after reading your poem.
Sigh, well I 'lied' above. I used to live where there were more lilac bushes, just hadn't SEEN any. I took a drive this morning and consciously LOOKED; and yes, they are nicely in bloom HERE as well. I just had to seek them out!
MMMMMmmmmmm.... your words evoke the scent. They haven't begun to bloom yet here, but I can see the buds starting up. We have lilacs everywhere in Great Falls, too. I enjoy your description of place. Places where the scent pulls our eye toward it.
Post a Comment