Sunday, May 13, 2012

Wordle 56: Her Clock

New wordle words from Brenda at The Sunday Whirl:
indigenous, significance, goddess, sacred,
demons, visit, rituals, summit,
elaborated, intention, flags, string



Her clock
chimes seventy-eight
and time is measured
by vats of pills,
barrels of vitamins.
Memories of kite strings
and carnival flags
drift through her days,
her nights fill with visits
from dark angels and demons.
The past is forgiven,
the future no longer exists,
reality has lost significance.
She grows grayer and
more invisible each day.
Life slips away, swirls down
the sacred vortex of existence.
Elaborate handwriting
fills the pages of her book.
There's no way to slow
the relentless flood of words.
Her ledger almost full,
she leaves her body behind,
floats to a safer place.


Notes:
When I started this piece, it was about me at soon-to-be age 65, measuring my days in bars of soap and jars of mayonnaise. So different from the days when I was a busy young mother, measuring my days with potty training, trips to the playground and library. Then it segued to a piece about an older me, a MUCH older me!

My amazing mother will be 90 in September. Except for a profound loss of hearing, she is in great shape. She lives in her own home with one of my brothers, gardens and cooks and cleans, and is a huge fan of baseball! I wish the Twins would win more games for her to enjoy. :)

12 comments:

Daydreamertoo said...

Oh, I hope she is happy wherever she goes to. deep, and filled with lots of images.
Great writing.

irene said...

One hopes that one leaves "the sacred vortex of existence" it will be to a safe place. Interesting that the words invite a contemplation with life & death, like mine did. :)

Mary said...

Wow, I like what you did this this. It really captures dementia / Alzheimers. Yikes, scary, but oh so real.

brenda w said...

This is covered with sadness, but flows with a sense of the acceptance of progression, too. I like what you've done here, Marianne.

Happy Mother's Day!

margo said...

I hope I'm just seeing normal old age, here! At almost sixty,with my mother at eighty-three, I am more and more interested in trying to write about it. I love that the words took you here.

barbara said...

So many nice phrases here. I understand the extrapolation (turning 65 in October), but looks like you're fortunate to have such a model to grow into.

Laurie Kolp said...

I really like this, but it's so sad.

I hope you enjoy your mother's day!

Hannah said...

Great capture of emotions in this piece. I really enjoy your personal notes though! Great voice you have!!

vivinfrance said...

This sent shivers down my spine: being so close to my own experience. I'm not all that much older than you, too. Beautifully written.

flaubert said...

While this is covered in sadness, Marianne. It is beautifully written. How wonderful your mom is still so active. I lost my mom a few years back. She was 93. The most horrible loss of my life.

Pamela
Happy Mother's Day!

Tania A said...

This is beautiful! Such a different take than my own interpretation. I loved it.

Misky said...

this one sure made me sit up and pay attention!