New wordle words from Brenda at The Sunday Whirl:
hips, marrow, crocuses, stillness,
massive, secret, flower, grief,
window, perhaps, hand, clatter, colors
Worn At The Edges
Unexpected snow comes
like a spoiled secret,
freezing the tender early flowers;
icy crocus clatter in the wind.
She grieves in frayed stillness,
remembers a lifetime of small things,
brightly colored ripples on a pond,
presses cold hands together,
watches and waits at the window.
Perhaps, in the end, there's
nothing but this moment.
15 comments:
We had to wait an awful long time for spring to get started here too. Snow at the end of our April, didn't help spring arrive.
This is lovely use of the prompt words.
Hearing those icy crocuses clattering in the wind makes my teeth chatter! :)
Whirling Haiku and Senryu
This is the third piece that ends in the present moment....maybe there are a few more that I read before I noticed a trend. Interesting, eh? I wonder if the window brought that in?
I love the line, "She grieves in frayed stillness..." and the ending.
Interesting, the last two lines. Perhaps, that can be applied to each succeeding moment. Then she [and we] can take some kind of solace.
Eventually grieve must be worked through. Sometimes it takes a 'winter' or so, but eventually one realizes each moment of life IS important. I have noticed the same trend that Brenda has. Interesting...
the cold hands bring it home to me.
There is something about hands and body image...our hands are what we see of our self.
this is so serene, "perhaps there's nothing but just this moment1"
a calmness, stability in the poem itself :) wonderful!
Naturally expressed in the essence of natures allure. Peaceful and serene as described. A good read.
Icy crocuses is quite the image, Marianne. Lovely write.
Pamela
"She grieves in frayed stillness,
remembers a lifetime of small things,"
I really like this part and your ending!! :)
Yup there is a trend, that stillness in winter, waiting for spring. ;)
Love this. Especially: "Unexpected snow comes
like a spoiled secret" and she "remembers a lifetime of small things." Eloquent, and beautiful.
Wow. Love your way with words, the visuals, the punch ending.
I am with Hannah -"She grieves in frayed stillness,remembers a lifetime of small things," The mind has a way of doing this. Let's hope spring will not entice flowers to bloom until AFTER all the snow is gone.
Icy crocuses are surely not pleasant. A worthy poem - it is about the moment.
Post a Comment