New wordle words from Brenda at The Sunday Whirl:
dazed, incense, ambivalence, empties,
holy, scurries, breathing, fear,
flaps, prayers, water, tenderness
dazed, incense, ambivalence, empties,
holy, scurries, breathing, fear,
flaps, prayers, water, tenderness
Divine Dunking
She holds her breath,
lungs burning,
squints through
ambivalent ripples
of liquid sunlight.
Bubbles escape her nose,
scurry to the surface.
Fear forgotten,
she floats in holy water,
immersed in His tenderness.
Incantations and prayers
rise like incense,
sin empties out
and she is washed clean.
Notes: I struggled with a title for this piece, thinking to call it Baptism By Immersion. Then I thought of Divine Dunking. Hope that no one finds it offensive. I was baptized at the old French church here in St. Paul, the same church where my mother was baptized in 1922 and where my children were baptized many years later. I am immersed in tradition and I find that very satisfying.
Notes: I struggled with a title for this piece, thinking to call it Baptism By Immersion. Then I thought of Divine Dunking. Hope that no one finds it offensive. I was baptized at the old French church here in St. Paul, the same church where my mother was baptized in 1922 and where my children were baptized many years later. I am immersed in tradition and I find that very satisfying.
13 comments:
Well wordled. I love your optimistic ending of your Wordle poem. My ending was not quite so optimistic.
http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2012/09/if-only.html
A wonderful baptism!
http://lkkolp.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/high-school-football/
Washed clean. Beautiful!
The scurrying bubbles are beautiful. This is a lovely piece, Marianne. The simile you employ at the end is rich. Well done!
I love the description of this scene. It allows me, for a moment, to experience it.
I like and prefer Divine Dunking. Baptism by Immersion has always frightened me and brought questions. Thanks for the joy you brought to the experience,
Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/prodigal-steps/
It is interesting how different traditions cleanse the 'soul'. Yours is a delightful read that floats the wordles well.
I continue with my fantasy here:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/09/sunday-whirl-76-feeding-souls.html
What a beautiful description of baptism!
Love this:
"squints through
ambivalent ripples
of liquid sunlight"
I found this poem very refreshing, Marianne. Beautiful write.
Pamela
So vivid that I felt I was right there with her. Lovely poem.
http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/empty-clouds/
The miracle of "water." Lovely piece.
Love this, especially:
"squints through
ambivalent ripples
of liquid sunlight."
Gorgeous.
de
whimsygizmo.wordpress.com
Your title allows us to see that maybe we should approach faith and God with a bit more joy. Great write!
Post a Comment