New wordle words from Brenda at The Sunday Whirl:
charm, willows, crust, rustle,
unbearable, explode, mending, fever,
brittle, breeze, piercing, sheaths
Under The Moon's Icy Glow
Bare trees reached
skyward like old bones.
Bare trees reached
skyward like old bones.
She could smell the snow
that was coming,
felt the change in the air.
Trunks battened,
willow branches
willow branches
rustled and swished.
By morning, their brittle,
ice-crusted sheaths would
crack, shattering
in the blustery breeze.
in the blustery breeze.
Cruel words from long ago
pierced her frozen heart,
pierced her frozen heart,
the pain unbearable.
Moonlight, dazzling as snowflakes,
exploded all around.
Her fevered body shivered.
Notes: We've had some serious temperature extremes here. Earlier in the week, it was in the 80's. This morning it was a nippy 30 degrees, with a cold wind. No snow in the forecast yet, but it will be coming. Northern Minnesota just got about a foot of early snow! I finally broke down and turned on the furnace. I think the cold air and wintry thoughts directed my poem.
Moonlight, dazzling as snowflakes,
exploded all around.
Her fevered body shivered.
Notes: We've had some serious temperature extremes here. Earlier in the week, it was in the 80's. This morning it was a nippy 30 degrees, with a cold wind. No snow in the forecast yet, but it will be coming. Northern Minnesota just got about a foot of early snow! I finally broke down and turned on the furnace. I think the cold air and wintry thoughts directed my poem.
10 comments:
Brrrrrrr... the coldness in your poem cuts through reader me. Well done, Marianne. Great simile- "skyward like old bones."
We've had some snow here, two days now. It shows its face early in the day then melts away into a cold drizzle.
I felt for the willow tree and its branches. Really good detailed description and use of the wordle words, Marianne,
Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2012/10/07/one-day-road-trip/
Yikes... they has snow across some parts of the prairies here last week too. Enough of a snow storm to cause over 140,000 power outages and driving problems. As far as I'm concerned, it's still Autumn and wayyyy too soon for talk of snow, let alone have it fall and lay!
Thankfully, it's so lovely here, even got my window open to let the fresh air in.
Brrr... shiver me timbers.
Great poem :)
well done capturing the winter moment as well as bringing in some emotion to match.
This time of year I like being in Atlanta - no chance of snow, mid 70s, fall in full force in the nearby mountains.
This is gorgeous.
I especially love:
"Bare trees reached
skyward like old bones."
Such vivid imagery here. Excellent.
Your first two opening lines set mood for this poem, Marianne. Lovely wintery poem. I suppose that is easy for me to say living south of the border, where there is no chance of snow. However, I do love to read about snow and ice. Nicely done.
Pamela
Deeply visual and enjoyable.
I shall try to be original in my comment...I can relate to the last line...'her fevered body shivered.'
I've been there a few times.
There is a sadness that makes one want to offer tea by the hearth even in silent companionship just to ease the pain...
I'm here with Acheron this week:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/10/sw-77-brief-look-back.html
Oh I could feel the chill of winter in every line of this one Marianne ... well wordled lovely poem
http://thepoet-tree-house.blogspot.ca/2012/10/please-keep-your-seat-belt-fastened-at_8.html
Very interesting piece...Seamlessly done...
crossbow
Post a Comment