Miz Quickly's PROMPT SEVENTEEN: FOUND OBJECTS
Use objects you have found, or just imagine finding something odd and/or out of place.
The Simple Things
My first memory of Mama's spinster
cousin Helen was of trim ankles crossed
primly beneath a proper gray tweed skirt,
sturdy leather handbag beside her chair.
My first memory of Mama's spinster
cousin Helen was of trim ankles crossed
primly beneath a proper gray tweed skirt,
sturdy leather handbag beside her chair.
Helen always had a supply of candy in her purse,
a treasure trove of lemon drops, cinnamon disks
and my favorite, peppermints, slightly furred with lint.
and my favorite, peppermints, slightly furred with lint.
She doled them out, reward for a good school report
or decoy to soothe innocent tears.
Swirling minty treats never fail to remind
me of her, little threads to long ago.
or decoy to soothe innocent tears.
Swirling minty treats never fail to remind
me of her, little threads to long ago.

6 comments:
I see her.
So do I!! And I cringed at the lint stuck on the peppermint! Excellent descriptions, Marianne!!
See her...!? She was definitely one of many 'aunts' in my childhood... ... !
I thought you were describing my aunt here, Marianne. Good imagery.
Pamela
I had lots of Aunts, but only one like her. I think she might be a prerequisite of childhood, good one Marianne,
Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/found-object/
I can only echo what the others have said. I think we all have an 'Aunt Helen' somewhere in our family trees. Lint and candy all.
Post a Comment