Friday, April 5, 2013

2013 NaPoWriMo #5: In This Kitchen


DAY FIVE: Off Prompt

In This Kitchen
I decide to write about the onions,
artfully arranged still-life in my kitchen.
They sit in a woven reed basket 
on the counter behind me, the grass 
fibers beautiful, a lovely frame  
for papery orbs the size of softballs.
If I turn to look I know there's
a mild-flavored red onion, 
more purple than rosy-hued.
And two sweetly pungent white onions,
fleshy opaque petals wrapped tightly
in layers of humble virtue. I sigh. 
No poet can do them justice.


8 comments:

Misky said...

There is something marvellously methodical about onions, all those layers, and wrapped up tight in a tissue-paper skin! Just like a gift. Lovely poem. Love it. xx

Walt Wojtanik said...

Written so well, it brought tears to my eyes... onions have that affect on me! Thanks Marianne.

flaubert said...

This is a lovely poem, Marianne. I like to write about fruit and vegetables myself. I came looking for you as I didn't see you over at Mz. Q's.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

So glad you visited my site so I could find you. Love your descriptive images. I could see, feel, and even taste those onions, wonderful,

Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/a-gambol-with-time/

brenda w said...

I want to visit you for a meal. How's that for obtrusive? loving onions loving onions

Thyra and I are planning to be in your parts early in August on her way to school. We'll go to the same folk festival that Len and I saw last year in Red Wing. I'd love it if you joined Thyra and I for the festival. Let me plant that seed early! We can eat dinner with you the night before...I'll get you a ticket to the show. Oh...to see your onion basket, and your face in flesh. just a little something to think about...

neil reid said...

Much much to admire in this "descriptive" poem. To look, to really look - and describe - makes an intimacy here beyond what one might expect of an onion gathering! Very nice. And I appreciate you sharing this with WWP as well.

This poem teaches.

(Might I be bad, one suggestion to offer?) (and I only say this for poems I like... ) What if you remove the word "mere" from the last line? You feel a difference?

It is a lovely ending, the more to magnify.

neil

irene said...

Lovely musings and that picture is gorgeous. Tis true. No poet does them justice. Onions really enhance the flavor of soups. I'm just back from the kitchen pureeing onions for that. Very nice to see you at WWP, Marianne.

Jules said...

I've tried all the tricks.
There's no getting around being teary eye when slicing cooking onions.

Get a sweet Vadillia to add to your basket.

Cheers (in every layer).