Thursday, April 25, 2013

NaPoWriMo 2013 #25: Poem Starting with a Line by Gary Soto


Miz Quickly's PROMPT TWENTY-FIVE: POEM STARTING WITH A LINE BY  
“Poem Starting with a Line by ” is your title.  Look for a line that captures your imagination (and holds its own as a unit of syntax)  That is your first line*. It sets the tone for your poem.  (*be sure to cite the source at some point)  

Poem Starting with a Line by Gary Soto
I sat on the lawn watching the half-hearted moon rise,*
exhausted starlight filtering down around me.
In the heavy silence, I was a shadow on the grass,
tired house behind me erased by thick darkness.
Restless, I breathed out, smooth and mellow,
felt the universe expand, steadfast, enduring.

5 comments:

Marian Veverka said...

I liked the mood of this piece - all the images leading into a wholesensation.

flaubert said...

I agree with Marian, you have created a lovely mood with this, Marianne.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

I have done the same many times, just sat outside and let the house behind me fade into shadows. Really like the atmosphere you have created,

Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/poem-starting-with-a-line-by-anne-sexton/

Jules said...

You reminded me that I wanted to try, as amateurish as it may be to try and photograph the full moon this evening. By my reckoning the moon was rising in the south eastern sky.

I remember laying in my back yard one eve looking up at the star filled sky and getting dizzy. We do need to remember to breathe.

brenda w said...

smooth and mellow
yes. I'm longing for summer's ease.
My students read some Soto.