Saturday, April 27, 2013

NaPoWriMo 2013 #27: Incendiary


Use the wondrous powers of the Internet to help you write. Think of a common proverb or phrase — something like “All that glitters is not gold,” or “If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.” Then plug the first three words of the phrase into a search engine. Skim through the first few pages of results, collecting (rather like a poetic magpie) words and phrases that interest you. Then use those words and phrases as the inspirations (and some of the source material) for a new poem. Happy writing!

Here's the proverb I chose:
"There's no smoke without fire"

Incendiary
Only wind and smoke,
no heat without a flame.
Inhaling grenade whispers,
truth behind every rumor. 
Do what you wanna do now.
Black smog out the chimney,
there's no fire, so cliched.
You tend to stir up trouble,
I won't play your games.

4 comments:

brenda w said...

Wow! This worked out great for you. I saw the prompt and turned to the wordle words, instead. Now I'm reconsidering. This is strong, Marianne. Brava!

Stan Ski said...

That's alright... no girls allowed anyway!

Stan Ski said...

That's alright... no girls allowed anyway!

Anonymous said...

Yours works nicely, Marianne. I tried the prompt but any of the three words I chose seemed to bring pages of nothing but the same. Your three words are great and the resulting poem intriguing.