Miz Quickly's LAST prompt for April 2013: STEREOTYPES are a form of shorthand. You are ignoring the particulars that define individuals, and concentrating on one role that person fills.
Choose a stereotype and particularize it. Sketch the person behind the label, but use metaphor to suggest just how much more than job or appearance or nationality this is.
My thanks to Miz Q., and all of you, for making NaPoWriMo 2013 such a wonderful experience! Now I'm off to babysit.
The Grays
Sometimes we're cranky,
(our parts are wearing out),
some of us are quite fascinating.
(others bore the bark off trees).
Some of us are funny,
(some of us just look funny),
some of us dye our hair,
(others don't have hair).
We go to bed early
(we need our rest),
we like to read the paper
and do the crosswords,
(a good way to pass the time).
We're accused of driving too slow,
(our days of rushing are over).
Sometimes we feel lonely
(you would, too, if your
friends and family were gone).
friends and family were gone).
We're the ones who have survived,
we've lived long enough to be old.
8 comments:
I adore this, Marianne. I'm going to copy it and take it to my mother when I visit her this summer. She will howl and agree with it all.
But wouldn't it be nice to run backward for a little while?
Wow!! This is exemplary of perfection as a response to the challenge!! I love it and thank you for sharing this view so creatively!
All good, and one to remember...!
Used to look at others and think some of those very same thoughts. Now look in the mirror and know I have arrived. Almost too detailed, lol,
Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/
I am so on my way! I agree with Margo...my mother will love this, too. Thank you for being here this month. It's been another good year of NaPo, and I've enjoyed sharing it with you.
Marianne, I am on my way there. Thanks so much for sharing this inside and close to my heart view. It has been an incredible month, glad to have been on the journey with you, my friend.
Pamela
"bore the bark off trees"
has got to be one of my favorite lines! I hope I never get that way...
I'd like to think we are getting to live life on our own terms...maybe not quite what we had planned. But when you get to spend time with three year olds (or almost in my case...) - and have the support and good company of friends like you to share crazy poetry months - Life is Good!
Post a Comment