ONE PUFF AT A TIME
August, and the night sizzles with hot stars.
Close by, she can hear Bobby Vinton
crooning on her transistor radio.
Someone's sitting on the porch swing,
probably her father, smoking his last
Pall Mall of the evening, nicotine
coursing through his veins, slowly
killing his body. It won't happen
for another thirty years, but none
of them know about that tonight.
He takes a long pull, sucks it in
and holds it, then expels it from
his lungs in a long, satisfying exhale.
Holding the cigarette, flicking the ash,
he exudes a rugged manliness,
but it's his death sentence.
*comments welcome
Close by, she can hear Bobby Vinton
crooning on her transistor radio.
Someone's sitting on the porch swing,
probably her father, smoking his last
Pall Mall of the evening, nicotine
coursing through his veins, slowly
killing his body. It won't happen
for another thirty years, but none
of them know about that tonight.
He takes a long pull, sucks it in
and holds it, then expels it from
his lungs in a long, satisfying exhale.
Holding the cigarette, flicking the ash,
he exudes a rugged manliness,
but it's his death sentence.
*comments welcome
3 comments:
I like your poem, even though I started smoking when I was 14. It was my strongest connection with my father. It took me so long to figure out why he took me fishing with him, but didn't do that with my siblings. He knew what it meant to be the odd man out, and recognized that reality in me. Before I attended college, he was the only one who ever told me that I could accomplish whatever I set my mind to. As far as memory is concerned, it happens to me anytime I read poetry. Your poem is very visual and emotional. It took me back to many things,
Elizabeth
https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2019/04/10/about-this-imperfect-poet/
It is too bad, no one knew....the smoke a killer. Still I used to smoke, and I liked it too. The "thinking man's" drug. Enjoyed your poem.
Marianne, my father was a smoker. It took his life from me when I was 18. It was heartbreaking. I still miss him. Yet, I am a smoker as well. Go figure.
Love this piece. Very visual.
Love,
Pamela
Post a Comment