Saturday, April 6, 2019

#6: Forty-six Years

It's his
seventy-first birthday,
I tell my friends at lunch,
even though you've been dead
these last forty-six years.
It's a lifetime since I've seen you.
I wonder if you'd have married
your high school sweetheart;
maybe be a grandfather by now.
Impossible to believe but
I've lived my whole life without you.
The shock and pain were massive at first,
I didn't think I'd ever get over it.
Time has dulled the hurt,
I've had to make room for new sorrows,
but I'll never forget you, brother.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful tribute. No matter how much time passes, we always deeply feel the passing of our loved ones.

Elizabeth

brenda w said...

Oh Marianne, This is beautiful. Telling your friends at lunch makes this familiar and draws the reader in. I’m so sorry for your loss and it’s lingering pain. Much better to have your brother here. Imagining a life that ended too soon is difficult. Hugs,

Brenda

annell4 said...

A beautiful young man...even after all these years, I am sorry you had to live without him.

flaubert said...

The pain of loss conveyed sorrowfully in your words, Marianne.
Hugs to you, my friend.

Love,
Pamela