Thursday, April 4, 2019

#4: On Aging

She's cleaned this room
a thousand times 
a thousand,
dusted the pictures,
washed the windows,
vacuumed under the bed,
swiped at tables and lamps
with a dusty rag.

Memories hide in every corner.
The framed silhouette 
of her children, hanging
on the wall, is slightly askew,
needs adjusting.
The old black jewelry box,
so like her mother's,
sits on her dresser.

Sadness fills her.
She can no longer 
manage these simple chores.
She wonders again why 
this has happened to her,
reaches for her trusty walker 
parked at her side,
her ball and chain.


NOTES:
I went from being mobile to disabled overnight. 
I mostly manage to carry on the job of living my life. 
Some days are just harder, and sadder.
It's probably therapeutic to get it out in writing.
It's a loss I've never really dealt with.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am at a loss for words. I was told at age 17 that if I lived long enough, I'd probably end up in a wheel chair. So, I'm grateful for the mobility my walker allows me. Don't need it here in my apartment, although I do move slowly and carefully. But outside I can't seem to navigate a straight line. Been using a cane for over ten years, for short trips outside, but that doesn't work so well anymore. All that aside, I completely understand your grief. And know well the healing that occurs with writing. It is the primary reason I do it and have been doing it for forty years. It works. And you can see from this missive, I am very seldom at a loss for words, lol. One last note, a major part of grief is anger. Don't aim it at yourself, that's wasted energy you need. Aim it out at the Universe, it's big enough to absorb all of it and still send love...

Elizabeth
https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2019/04/04/to-breathe-life-into/

flaubert said...

Oh, Marianne. I agree with Elizabeth’s advice. You are courageous in writing about what is bothering you. Thanks for that, my friend.

Love,
Pamela