Friday, April 24, 2020

#24. Class Of 2020

To the Class of COVID19,
you who've earned the right to graduate,
to finish four years of drama club,
quiz bowl, baseball, track, tennis;
to organize the senior class trip,
senior lock-in, senior prom.
It's over, finished, kaput. And I feel for you.
I really do. It breaks my heart, in so many ways.
You've worked hard for twelve years to get here,
all gone in a cloud of corona germs.
It's not supposed to be this way.
Missing this rite of passage,
from adolescence to adulthood, is painful.
But kids, you can do this. Use this time as practice.
Find a spring board and jump over the black hole.
It's your future and we're counting on you!
You might just change the world.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yes they can Marianne, and hopefully they will build a better world for all of us. Beautiful thoughts Marianne, thank you.

Elizabeth

Irene said...

This resonated with what's happening here too. Thanks for writing it, Marianne.

flaubert said...

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I really like that you wrote about it, Marianne.

Love,
Pammy