Sunday, April 25, 2010

Napowrimo #25: first things first

Prompt for Day 25
Keep an ear out for the first sentence (or even word) that is said to you after you read this prompt. (Poetic license: If the first few words are exceptionally boring, wait for the first uncommon or peculiar one.) Take that word/sentence and build a poem around it.

Inspired by a phone conversation with my married daughter this morning. The phone woke me ...


She Said

How did it go last night? I asked.
He hung me out to dry, she said.
How do you mean? I asked.
He didn't back me up, she said.
What are you getting at? I asked.
He left me hanging in mid-air, she said.
Well, yes, but how? I asked.
He let me face the music alone, she said.
I'm still not following, I said.
Mother, sometimes you can be so thick, she said.
Yes, of course, now I understand, I said.
But I didn't.

7 comments:

rallentanda said...

But if you are like me you probably didn't and it went straight over the top of your head.

flaubert said...

Maybe none of us with children understand completely. Good one.
Pamela

Francis Scudellari said...

As wonderful as words are, they don't always convey everything we intend, at least not before creating a lot of confusion. You brought this to a perfect end. I don't have kids, but I've had moments like this, and I usually do the same thing... nod and move on.

Dan said...

We never do, do we?

Robin said...

Perfect! So real, so true. I guess we were like this to our parents, too.

Anonymous said...

This made me smile. I often feel out in the ozone when talking with my kids. :)

Sheila Deeth said...

Sounds so real and familiar. That "give-up" moment - "of course I understand."