Sunday, May 16, 2010

POW #3: Ted Hughes quote

Write a poem inspired by this quote:
It was the first fresh peach I had ever tasted.
I could hardly believe how delicious.
At twenty five I was dumbfounded afresh
By my ignorance of the simplest things.

From 'Fulbright Scholars' Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes.

I wrote two poems for this prompt.


Gathering Raspberries
The child goes out at first light
before the August heat claims the day,
while the birds sing for breakfast.
The grandmother gives her
a battered tin bucket.
The child plucks one perfect berry,
ripely blushed goodness,
from velcro-tangled brambles,
then another and another.
The red heap grows
as tiny fingers stain crimson.
The taste of berries lies
heavy on her tongue.
Long scratches
run up her short arms.
Magnanimous, she offers
her juicy prize
to the rest of us.



First Peach
Her skin peaches and cream
and soft, soft as the downy peel
of a ripe fruit waiting to be plucked.
She's his first, the one before
any others, and this boy-man of seventeen,
unschooled in the mysteries of romance,
is awkward and clumsy when she's near.
He feels a great tenderness,
then red-hot desire; for her lips,
her breasts, the sweetness of her.
He wants it all and he's ready.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great contrast between these two pieces, Marianne, even though they both exude innocence.

rallentanda said...

Both poems are lovely chilhood memories.I like the red hot desire passion of the second poem.They are always ready Marianne!

Anonymous said...

What a nice set to compare point of view. Both objective nifty. I have a soft spot, though for berrying. We had wild blackberries, itchy with chiggers, but wonderful.

Stan Ski said...

Two stages of innocence that we can all relate to.
Good post.

Anonymous said...

Both poems very real to folk growing up in western Oregon as we grow all of this here. And feel this way, starting at this age...

Andy Sewina said...

Yeah, tasty, both are very tasty!!

Sheila Deeth said...

Cool! Two completely different poems, but what lovely directions you take them in. I'll have to look out for these prompts when life calms down a bit. And I'll have to remember to visit your poems more often.