From A Wordling Whirl of Sundays come another prompt:
stop * substituted * textured * bridge
slurping * brandishing * rural * salty
filtered * invasion * chimney * eke
No Rest For The Weary
The old woman hurries home over the stone bridge
as silver light filters down through willow leaves,
tall grasses swirl and ripple beside flowers the texture
of velvet. Fantasy substitutes for reality, the moon sings
to her, the earth's music of gnats and crickets hums along,
and an infusion of ethereality fills her. Her dreams are
simple; a chair by the warm chimney, soup thick with
leeks and parsnips, a loaf of fragrant bread. Instead
there is only thin gruel and salty tears. She slurps
the last of the broth, brandishes her spoon toward heaven.
There is no bucolic rural life for her, she must eke out
her pitiful existence until the day her weary body stops.
9 comments:
Marianne, what a sad picture you've painted here, well put together.
Pamela
Marianne, Hard work, no rest. I like that she is able to fantasize a bit and experience "ethereality." Dreams keep us going. You've got some great imagery in this piece. It is sad that this type of living is reality for some. You've captured it well.
~Brenda
This is a touching poem - the bginning an idyll, the ending a tragedy.
sad yes, and feisty with the spoon
Marianne, I like the "simple dreams" and how they are just dreams - not reality at all. Some of us contrasted rural and urban, but I like how you stayed with the rural and contrasted the idyllic life with the realistic one.
Richard
Poignant study in contrasts, Marianne. Beautiful and sad all at once.
Very clever. I could use sme cheering up, but your piece tuched me and read real. I ENJOYED it sadly :)
You really painted a picture with the wordle words here!
Perfect with bitter truth in it.
Post a Comment