Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sunday Wordle 21

Brenda's new words for Wordle 21:
jolt * simple * urgent * scrape
now * pockets * dignity * cut
pass * roaring * build * bold


The Way To School
He cuts through Mrs. Klein's backyard,
jogs anxiously past Korte's Grocery on the corner.
Taunting voices penetrate the safe bubble he imagines
protects him and he's jolted out of his simple security.
Hands in pockets, he ignores the roaring in his ears,
the urgent panic building in the pit of his stomach.
One more block and he'll reach Randolph Middle School.
The bloody scrape on his knee from yesterday is covered
with a thick gauze bandage, the tear in his jacket carefully
mended. Now he sees them, summons every last shred
of dignity he owns, walks up the steps and through the doors.

5 comments:

flaubert said...

Marianne, reminds me of the issues of bullying, ever present in our time. Well told little tale.

Pamela

Laurie Kolp said...

I agree with Pamela... makes me want to go protect the poor boy.

Mr. Walker said...

Marianne, it hurt to read this. You've captured the physical hurts and the "taunting voices" of bullying, but also the inner fear of the victim. I admire his courage in going back.

Richard

Susannah said...

Really nice writing and a great use of the wordle words.

You have really captured all the nuances and horrible feelings associated with bullying.

(I knew those awful feeling once too - the little b***stards! LOL)

brenda w said...

Excellent piece, Marianne. Sadly, there are students who live this life. Bullying is prevalent. We are starting an anti-bullying campaign at my school this year. I'm hoping the students take it to heart. They know that I think bullies are sad little people inside. We talk about how bullies do not feel good about themselves. They lash out because they hurt. They are sad little people inside. I love it when the class laughs, and there's a bully in the mix. :)

Thanks for this important contribution. Hearing it from the victim's perspective is painful.