Sunday, October 30, 2011

Wordle 28

Brenda selected 12 awesome words from Mike Patrick's poetry for this week's wordle:
gutter * flickering * twitched * vanished
crooked * bottle * caught * bloody
gurgle * sidewalk * thump * carved


The Time Of Samhain
It was the time of year
when darkness came early,
crooked sky tumbling
down thick and black,
like coagulated blood
smearing every small,
out-of-the-way corner
of the neighborhood.
Sprawled on the sidewalk
in front of Frankie's place,
no longer boys, not quite men,
they drank from a brown-bagged
bottle of fierce, fiery poison.
Eerie whisperings charged
the carved silence. Strange
flickering things thumped
and twitched in the gutter,
gurgled, then vanished. Through
his whiskey-induced haze, Frankie
wondered if they would be next.


Notes:
Samhain (pronounced Sah-ween) is a Gaelic festival held October 31–November 1, dedicated to the harvest and the dead. It is seen as a celebration of darkness.

14 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

Ah, yes... those whiskey-induced hazes can be spooky.

brenda w said...

This is rich dark chocolate spiced with cayenne. :) I especially love "crooked sky tumbling / down thick and black / like coagulated blood..."

Daydreamertoo said...

Oooo nasty. Scary, very fitting for Halloween :)

Mary said...

Oh, you have set the scene here so well, Marianne. Dark and deep. And I was glad to learn a bit about Sanhain.

irene said...

Thanks for the notes about the festival. I like the ending much, which is delicious with suspense.

Nanka said...

A nice picture painted of that time of the year!!
"no longer boys, not yet men," a nice way to describe teenagers!!

annell4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annell4 said...

Very well done... I loved the crooked sky!

Mike Patrick said...

This wordle brought out your inner wordsmith. Beautifully crafted. I had never heard of Samhain before, but it is a wonderful fit for those words.

flaubert said...

Marianne, yes, I love this... quite befitting for all hallow's eve.

Pamela

Elizabeth said...

Wonderful suspense and very vivid imagery. Thanks for the notes on the festival.

Elizabeth

gautami tripathy said...

Suspenseful and thrilling...

innards

Anonymous said...

A wonderful poem. So much imagery, I think my favourite has to be - "they drank from a brown-bagged bottle of fierce, fiery poison."
A great read. Thanks.

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

time for Halloween, Glad that is is over.

best wishes.