THE SISTERS OF THE VISITATION OF HOLY MARY
Golden autumn light sparks,
memories run rampant,
stiff breezes flutter,
my old roller shade thumps when
it connects with the window frame
like my heart thumped so hard back then.
First day of high school,
uniform hot and scratchy,
cloistered convent an enigma,
the Sisters slow-moving and serious
in flowing robes straight
out of The Sound of Music.
The strangeness of it, everything intimidating,
especially the nuns in somber serge,
starkly beautiful and solemn.
Black robes, black shoes and stockings,
black veils and those curious
white linen contraptions on their heads.
We stood when the Sisters entered
the classrooms, me a beat behind the rest
because the custom was unfamiliar.
I was overpowered by the strangeness
but in time the radiance of these women,
their hope and wonder unshakable,
nurtured deep respect and devotion.
memories run rampant,
stiff breezes flutter,
my old roller shade thumps when
it connects with the window frame
like my heart thumped so hard back then.
First day of high school,
uniform hot and scratchy,
cloistered convent an enigma,
the Sisters slow-moving and serious
in flowing robes straight
out of The Sound of Music.
The strangeness of it, everything intimidating,
especially the nuns in somber serge,
starkly beautiful and solemn.
Black robes, black shoes and stockings,
black veils and those curious
white linen contraptions on their heads.
We stood when the Sisters entered
the classrooms, me a beat behind the rest
because the custom was unfamiliar.
I was overpowered by the strangeness
but in time the radiance of these women,
their hope and wonder unshakable,
nurtured deep respect and devotion.
5 comments:
The Bergman reference sharpened the images for me, into black and white of course, but that only made richer the "somber serge."
Excellent write, Marianne. I appreciate the glimpse into your high school.
I know it must have been tough being thrust in this very strange world. Being raised Catholic, the nuns terrified me. Excellent write, I agree.
Pamela
Reminds me of Sister Act. = )
I went to Catholic schools so I can really relate. In high school, the nuns didn't have to wear those formal habits, though.
Not Catholic, but there were I knew two nuns (one from grad school, another a violin teacher for my daughters) who were among the most 'beautiful' people I have known in my life. As grade school student, I visited a Catholic school with a neighborhood friend. THAT classroom teacher nun was intimidating! It sounds like your initial strangeness grew into respect for the 'sisters.' I think this often happens with time. Nice capture here!
You've captured the strangeness, the awe and reverence, and then the warmth of their devotion. It used to be that these nuns teach in our convent schools, but no longer. The reference to Bergman was good, agreeing with Brenda.
Post a Comment